Systek's Quality Assurance
Systek has a long-established Quality Program for assuring the quality of services and customer deliverables as well as compliance with contract provisions. Systek is an ISO 9001-2008 certified organization, and all of our Quality Assurance actions are undertaken in accordance with ISO 9001-2008.
Quality Assurance policy and Goals
It is Systek's policy to provide superior services that meet or exceed our customers'
expectations by thoroughly evaluating their unique needs and tailoring our products and performance to those needs. It is Systek's policy to establish and execute an effective and economical quality program, covering both processes and deliverables. It is also Systek's policy to perform all activities in a manner that reflects a total commitment to quality. This means maintaining the highest standards of quality in all actions and a constant dedication to the principle of maintaining the highest levels of quality and integrity in communicating with people inside and outside of Systek. Systek holds its Project Managers and Lead Engineers responsible for monitoring customer satisfaction on a continuing basis, making appropriate adjustments and corrections if problems occur. It is Systek's goal to encourage all employees to strive for individual excellence in their work and in their association with other people inside and outside of the workplace. It is Systek's goal to motivate employees to achieve this excellence by providing leadership, training, proper materials and facilities, and a cooperative environment.
QA Organizational Structure
Systek Project Managers/Lead Engineers have established quality goals and a commitment to follow standards and procedures allowing the management of multiple projects or task orders.
Our deliverables documents are the result of consultation and
collaboration with the customer such as: white papers, Statements of Work
(SOWs), test reports, test procedures, specifications, procurement data
packages, acquisition plans, contract type recommendations, and evaluation
criteria. All project work is performed under the direction of Systek Project
Managers and Lead Engineers who are responsible for directing and monitoring
the efforts of Systek personnel assigned to the task.
Role of the Product Manager/Lead Engineer
Activities of the Project Managers/Lead
Engineers include monitoring deliverables to ensure the highest level of technical quality, compliance with customer direction, and conformance to the contract and SOW. Duties also include: Reviewing
the status of activities completed to date, near-term objectives, and any critical risks or problems affecting deliverable quality; participating as active members in reviews and corrective action activities; auditing work products to verify compliance with contractual requirements and deliverable development plans. Project Managers/Lead Engineers are authorized to set and reorder immediate priorities to respond to urgent requirements established by our customer in the following manner:
- When an urgent request is made by a customer, the informed Systek engineer notifies
the cognizant Project Manager/Lead Engineer.
- The Project Manager/Lead Engineer alerts his peers of the urgency in the event that
resources may be required from elsewhere in Systek.
- The Project Manager/Lead Engineer implements his response with the cooperation of
his peers to assure that the plan is workable and has the least impact on
existing activities while satisfying the urgent request.
Systek services activities are project oriented, allowing Systek staff to be able to
respond to multiple Task Orders.
Customer reviews, both formal and informal, are conducted regularly and are used to:
- Evaluate SOW requirements.
- Validate engineering approaches and processes.
- Ensure customer satisfaction with Systek's approach and deliverable products.
- Obtain customer feedback with regard to the totality of the service provided by
- Project Managers/Lead Engineers monitor these reviews to ensure the customer
requirements are addressed appropriately. They also ensure that review proceedings and results are documented properly.
Peer reviews are used to identify and remove defects from deliverables early in the
development cycle and to increase communication across teams
and departmental boundaries. Findings resulting from peer reviews form the
basis for corrective actions to be taken by the primary author of the product.
The Project Manager/Lead Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the primary
author has conducted adequate peer review of the product. Prior to delivery to the customer, the Systek Project Manager/Lead Engineer is
responsible for conducting a complete review of the product to ensure validity
of technical approach, confirm that the highest technical standards have been applied,
and to ensure compliance with customer direction, the SOW, and the contract. In
the event corrective action is necessary, the Project Manager/Lead Engineer is
responsible for discussing the actions with the primary author, monitoring
progress toward completion of the actions, and conducting a follow-up review to
ensure that all corrective actions have been satisfactorily incorporated into our Deliverable
Production Process. In order for Systek to produce deliverables according to requirements, a clear and effectively defined Production Process is key. The following steps describe the
- The requirement for a deliverable product is determined through discussion between the customer and the Systek Project Manager/Lead Engineer, or Project Engineer.
- The Project Manager/Lead Engineer assigns an author to the task and discusses the product and appropriate peer resources to be utilized by the author.
- The primary author prepares a draft product and actively seeks peer input and
review during preparation, and additionally seeks Project Manager/Lead Engineer
input when necessary.
- The draft product is given to the Systek Publication Staff where the type of document and formatting requirements are determined. The primary functions
performed by the Publication Staff include assignment of a unique
Systek Document Number reflecting the contract and task number, technical
editing, spelling and grammar checking, preparing new graphic diagrams,
inserting existing graphic diagrams, renumbering of paragraphs, formatting
tables and figures, preparation of a table of contents, preparation of an
acronym list, establishing or maintaining a revision history, and preparation
of front and back covers.
- The Publication Staff reviews all changes with the document author. After the author and the Publication Staff have completed the draft document, a hard
copy goes back to the author for final review. When the author is satisfied, a
Systek Project Manager/Lead Engineer will review the product and may initiate a
further peer review if necessary. The Systek Project Manager/Lead Engineer discusses any changes with the author who then instructs the Publication Staff to make the corrections to the soft copy of the document.
- In the course of incorporating the final changes, the document is then edited/reviewed for final content, grammar, spelling, and correlation between TOC and its references. Someone other than the person doing the formatting always conducts editing. When editing is complete, suggested editing changes are reviewed with the author for approval.
- The author informs the Production Staff of the distribution and the manner in which the document will be delivered to the customer at which time a Delivery Letter is created. The Project Manager/Lead Engineer conducts a final review of the deliverable and signs the Delivery Letter.
- Once the Delivery Letter is signed, the Publication Staff returns the document to the author in the requested media format, at which time it becomes a formal deliverable to the customer. The deliverables record is updated to reflect this latest deliverable. The deliverable is distilled into "read only" PDF format and added to all
the other baselined deliverables on the Systek file server.
- Any modifications or changes to a base-lined deliverable result in the revised document receiving a new Systek Document Number while the original deliverable is never
Meeting Urgent Requirements
Those requirements made on an immediate basis for a short term but critical work
effort are best handled by those currently working with the customer to
respond to the need. Systek is well suited to such tasks as the depth and
breadth of Systek's experience, combined with the knowledge of the customer's
needs, allows Systek engineers to respond and deliver effectively on urgent
requirements in the following manner: Upon evaluation of the requirement, Systek's Project Managers/Lead Engineers are authorized to set and reorder immediate priorities to enable response to urgent requirements established by our customer. When our customer establishes an urgent requirement, the informed Systek engineer notifies the Project Manager/Lead Engineer. The Project Manager/Lead Engineer alerts his peers of the urgent requirement in the event that resources may be required from elsewhere in Systek. The Project Manager/Lead Engineer then formulates his response with the cooperation of his peers to assure that the plan is workable, and has the least impact on existing customer activities while satisfying the customer's urgent requirement request. Systek addresses short-term urgent requirements resources from within the current staff. When urgent requirements are forecasted to go beyond a two to three week span, Systek initiates the short-term process outlined above to satisfy the immediate urgency, and simultaneously initiates an action to recruit and hire appropriately skilled staff to assign to the longer-term requirement. Systek maintains an inventory of profiles and resumes of skilled staff for the purpose of responding to longer-term requirements. This inventory includes skilled staff seeking permanent assignment as well as staff willing to begin work on
short notice, either on a part-time or a full-time basis. In the event that
permanent assignments are necessary, professional business practice dictates that such people would take at least three weeks to augment the staff with time to interview, prepare offers, and tender notice of termination.
All senior Systek engineers provide personal guidance and mentoring in the Systek
deliverable process ensuring that the quality control standards and procedures
are met and complied with in the normal course of business with Systek
customers. There are periodic reviews of this plan and all modifications or changes are
published in a general memorandum to all staff members.